Jetches (My Not So Vacant Shelf)'s Reviews > Nerd in Shining Armor

Nerd in Shining Armor by Vicki Lewis Thompson

Jul 28, 12

Read in July, 2012

Yes! Nerds win out! Finally! Finally! I am a nerd and a geek, and I love it when they become the sexy hero of a story. From when I was a wee lass so many years ago (ok, not so many) I fell in love with Nerds. Don’t get me wrong I love the jocks too, but when I get a jock that just happens to know his way around a computer, or one who knows his superhero…Bam! My knees are jello. It all started with a certain Mia Thermopolis falling for a certain Michael in The Princess Diaries. And then Vicki Lewis Thompson comes out with an entire series. I love it. And better yet I love Jackson. I love how the island brings out the manly in him. I love when he sits back and thinks “A man named Jack would do that” or “That’s right take notice of my manly charisma,” Oh Jackson. You make me smile. Even when you are determined to be so manly that you end up dropping the girl you like when you are trying to bring her to safety. Gen and Jack are awesome. They are both considerate of each other, but Jen doesn’t believe that Jack/Jackson will change. She believes that when they get rescued (oh yeah, they are marooned on an Island together…how Hot?) Jack will go back to being so wrapped up in his work that he will forget her. How friggin sad. I really enjoyed this book I was happy to see that Thompson focused less on the adult content and more on the story line. On top of it all there were actually two romances going on Gen and Jack, and Gen’s mom and her boss Matt. Add in a slightly psychic brother and you have the story. Now, the double romance actually threw me off a little. I was really eager to get back to Gen and Jack sometimes but had to read through the other romance for quite some pages, not to mention not spending so much time on the romance of one set of characters took away from the development a little bit.
Good:
Gen: She sure knows how to motivate a man when she needs to, and her backwoods girl status helps get them out of many many jams
Jack/Jackson: A Nerd who happens to think best when he is working out, so, logically, he works out… a lot. YEAH! He lands a plane and saves their lives, and he always seems to be there when Gen really needs him. I love this guy. Oh, and did I mention he was like six feet six or something? Sexy.
Bad:
I would have lost the romance between Gen’s mom and her boss and focused on the development on Gen and Jack more. Although her mom did really deserve a good guy so I wasn’t too upset about it.
Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):
Overall the writing was really well done. I was actually shocked because Thompson’s novels usually focus on the adult-content but this time there was a real focus on the characters and their relationship’s and character development. I found I appreciated this book more than some of her other novels. I think I will be reading the best of this series.

View more of my review and others at my blog: www.mynotsovacantshelf.blogspot.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nerd in Shining Armor.