Bridget's Reviews > Feed

Feed by M.T. Anderson

Nov 19, 2008

Read in November, 2008

This is one of those stories I feel like I need to digest before I decide what I truly thought. Usually my experience is that when I don't have a strong reaction, but just "hmm..." reaction, it usually means I loved it. My first thought when I finished was that it was a haunting slice of futuristic life. It pretty much combines both the best and the worst hopes of our future and makes them coexist in this exciting yet horrible way. My favorite part about the book was that this wasn't about forcing a moral or cautionary tale on to the reader, just some ideas to mull over. I could have done without the drugs, sexual references, and swearing but I hate to admit that they kind of worked in this case because they weren't endorsed, they were presented as a future reality. I find myself constanting thinking about where technology is taking us now. It's not about technology taking on a life of their own, but actually taking on our own lives. I loved the futuristic slang that the writer invented, so absolutely true to form.

I don't think I would ever recommend this book to anyone because I honestly don't think just anyone would get it. It's almost an acquired taste - not too sound too uppity about it! Just that it's different. For such a short story it was very well written and very well developed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Feed.