Jaime's Reviews > The Moon by Night

The Moon by Night by Madeleine L'Engle

U_50x66
Nov 11, 08

This charming sequel to the adorable Meet the Austins is not quite as good, but still excellent. The Austins are on a roadtrip, camping across America, and are nervous but excited to leave their New England farmhouse for tents, camp stoves, and sleeeping bags. (I could relate.) Vicky is now attracting Boys Across America, from bad-boy Zackary to good-guy Andy, and finds herself delighted by both, much to her family's chagrin. (I think this was my favorite part of this book; though Zachary and Andy are clearly drawn Types, and her family can see this and tells Vicky ALL the time that Zachary Grey is NO GOOD, Vicky herself does not much care and the author seems to enjoy that. But not in a "she likes the bad boy and will be punished' way, or a 'he has a heart of gold' way. Just in a 'she's 14 and BOYS LIKE HER' way.)
As the Austins meander across the country, making friends and seeing new things, Vicky recognizes how her small world is being broadened. She's not sure if she likes it, but observes acutely, and it's pretty fun to ride along.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Moon by Night.