H.B. Pattskyn's Reviews > Don't Let Me Go

Don't Let Me Go by J.H. Trumble

Jul 22, 12

Read in July, 2012

There were times when I didn't like Nate. He's immature. He has lived through a major trauma, to be sure, but he is SO blind at times, he can't see the forest for the trees... oh. Wait. He's a high school student. I seem to remember being that way myself 20 years ago ;-)

Seriously, I don't think Nate was supposed to be "liked" at all times, and even when I didn't like him, when I didn't think that Adam deserved him (i.e. didn't deserve his crap), the character still tugged at my heartstrings and I wanted the best for him--although I DID have the overwhelming urge to slap him upside the head every other chapter.

I'm not sure what age range this is targeted at, but I would peg it toward the upper end of the YA spectrum (not just because of the themes, which are handled artfully and appropriately), but because of vocabulary, length, sentence structure--basically, technical stuff.

This is definitely one of the best books I've read in a long time and I look forward to more by the author. Characterization was rock solid, dialogue was spot on, supporting characters were well rounded and felt like real people (the same goes for the main characters as well). Even the antagonists, who weren't necessarily three dimensional (mostly because there was simply no way to know what they were thinking), felt "real" in that they were drawn from real life, because it's a sad fact that homophobia exists.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Let Me Go.