Loren's Reviews > Permanent New Yorkers: A Biographical Guide to the Cemeteries of New York

Permanent New Yorkers by Judi Culbertson

Jul 22, 12

bookshelves: cemetery-books
Read in July, 2012

This was the second of Culbertson and Randall's "Permanent" series, exploring the permanent residents of Paris, California, Italy, and London. This one feels like it covers a vast amount of territory, from offering multiple tours of Green-Wood and Woodlawn to capsule suggestions of quick trips to the Hartsdale Canine Cemetery, Belmont Racetrack, and the Quaker Cemetery of Brooklyn.

Some of the choices are strange. There's a scant paragraph about the New York Marble Cemetery, which holds the remnants of 40 cemeteries that were destroyed to make room for the City's growth. It makes me wonder if the authors found the cemetery closed when they visited, as I did in June. Strawberry Fields in Central Park rates more description, even though the authors admit that John Lennon's ashes aren't buried there. The Hart's Island Potter's Field is included for the sake of completeness, I suppose, even though I'd be surprised if most tourists could or would want to try to visit it.

Which may be the split between the authors' intention for this book and the way I want to use it. It's not a guidebook, in that it doesn't include cemetery addresses, opening hours, or suggestions for how to visit the cemeteries listed inside. It doesn't include enough photographs of the graves or graveyards and spends page after page on biographies of people like Judy Garland, Theodore Roosevelt, and Malcolm X. Maybe it's meant to be an armchair travel book.

My quest for the perfect New York City cemetery guide continues -- but this was an excellent reference to read in the hotel room between cemetery explorations.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Permanent New Yorkers.

message 1: by Josh (new) - added it

Josh Loren, have you read "Stories in Stone New York: A Field Guide to New York Area Cemeteries & Their Residents" by Douglas Keister? its a pocket size book and has over 255 pages in it. It includes addresses to the cemeteries featured in the book, GPS coordinates, and concise biographies of the personalities buried in NYC area cemeteries. It also has beautiful gravesite photos. I'm about halfway through the book. I've read a few of Keisters other books. They're really informative.

Loren Josh wrote: "Loren, have you read "Stories in Stone New York

No, I haven't read that one yet. He's coming to Cypress Lawn next month, so I'm hoping to get him to sign one for me then. I have his LA book and a bunch of his others.

message 3: by Josh (new) - added it

Josh That's cool. Its an interesting book in my opinion I think its one of the better books he's written. Doug, has another pocket size book on cemeteries in Paris coming out in a few months. Another book you should look into reading if you haven't already is Permanently New Yorkers: Final Digs of the Notable and Notorious by Patricia Brooks. That one is an interesting book as well. But it doesn't offer addresses to the cemeteries, or GPS coordinates.

message 4: by Josh (new) - added it

Josh On a lighter note, I contacted the publisher of the book Patricia wrote, to get her email address. As I wanted to invite her to be a guest on my grave hunting podcast "The Gravecast Show." Unfortunately she declined to come on the show as she wasn't too savvy on technology. So I respected her wish to not be interviewed.

Loren Josh wrote: "As I wanted to invite her to be a guest on my grave hunting podcast "The Gravecast Show." Unfortunately she declined to come on the show as she wasn't too savvy on technology."

I'm not too savvy either, but any time you want to interview me, say the word. :-)

message 6: by Josh (new) - added it

Josh Definitely Loren, I'll put you on the list of grave hunters/cemetery enthusiasts I'd like to interview. I've got a few interviews I'm trying to line up at the moment. So I'll let you know when I'll be ready for your interview. When I contact you in a month or two, I'll give you the details on everything.

Loren Josh wrote: "Definitely Loren, I'll put you on the list of grave hunters/cemetery enthusiasts I'd like to interview.

Thanks, Josh!