Sarah Snyder's Reviews > The Demon Catchers of Milan

The Demon Catchers of Milan by Kat Beyer

Sep 29, 14

Read from August 05 to 07, 2012

The Demon Catchers of Milan has all the potential in the world; a haunting and thrilling premise set within the beautiful and exciting city of Milan. I had high hopes for this book, I love the idea of a demon catching family and who doesn't want to read about Italy? Unfortunately, this story fell flat for me.

First of all, Beyer had a very unique writing style that I never really got used to. This may sound like a funny comparison, but it reminded me a bit of Yoda. She constructs sentences in an unusal way that made it difficult to understand. Here are a few examples:

"They knock to get out, my bones."

"I told them all I could; I couldn't help leaving out some details, like the way he looked at me."

"He looked both older, because he did not look like a god, and younger, because he sat still, relaxed, open."

To put it mildy, The Demon Catchers of Milan confused the heck out of me. I understood what was happening in the moment, but not how everything fit together. Does that make sense? I could understand what was going on; the family was going out to eat, or Mia was studying history, but I did not get the overall picture. I'm not sure if this was because of the galley edition, but I found that the transitions between scenes and even conversations were difficult for me to follow. Of course it didn't help that the whole demon thing was never really explained.

You see our protagonist is thrust into this strange family business when she becomes possessed by a demon. She has never met the family that she moves to Milan with and certainly doesn't know the first thing about demons or demon catching. And unfortunately for Mia (and us) the family won't explain anything to her because they fear the demon that is gunning for her will learn their secret demon catching techniques. Mia never really bothers asking questions and when she does she is basically told, "figure it out for yourself". I don't know about you, but if I had a demon on my tail I would be demanding some answers. So long story short, Mia spends the entire book bumbling around the dark trying to make sense of everything. She apparently is able to sort some things out but I never really did. At the end of the book I was left with more questions than ever.

I also found the extensive family hard to sort out. I am sure it would have helped if I spoke Italian but I was constantly confusing Nonno and Nonna, Francesco and Francesca and of course all the Signora's. I don't think this would have been such a big problem for me if I wasn't already extremely lost.

The Demon Catchers of Milan felt more like a prequel than a stand-alone or series - I am assuming there is going to be a sequel because literally not a single question was answered. I say a prequel because it feels like something I would go back and read once I've already been introduced to the world and characters of the story. But, that is obviously not the case. As it is, I was completely and utterly lost and a little bored with the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Demon Catchers of Milan.

08/05/2012 page 71