Thomas Winship's Reviews > Treason

Treason by S.M. Boyce

6872033
Dec 09, 12

Read in November, 2012

Anyone who’s already read my review of S.M. Boyce’s "Lichgates" is familiar with how much I loved that book. The opener to "The Grimoire Trilogy" blew me away and I impatiently awaited book two.

Well, I’m happy to say that Boyce is back. And in a big way! "Treason" picks up right where "Lichgates" left off and doesn’t miss a beat in dragging the reader back into the magical world of Ourea.

The majority of the cast of characters is the same—which makes sense, considering their tale is far from over—but a few notable additions blend well with the evolution of some existing characters to create an environment that feels comfortable, but not too familiar.

Overall, the book moves along at a slower pace than its predecessor. It isn’t plodding, by any means, just a more measured pace that seems to indicate an author who knows exactly where the story is going and has the confidence to take it there as she sees fit. Never fear; there’s still plenty of action and intrigue to go around.

As the name suggests, betrayal plays a major role in this novel. In fact, I don’t believe I’ve ever seen betrayal explored to the level that it is in "Treason"—in any entertainment form. And, it is masterfully done, at that—none of the circumstances or situations come across as predictable or unbelievable. If there’s one thing that stretched my personal convictions a bit too much, it’s the sheer amount of forgiveness exhibited by Boyce’s characters. It’s a testament to their collective character (no pun intended), but I’m more of an “off with their heads” kinda guy. Still, I don’t think the average reader will mind.

"Treason" is a worthy—and welcomed—successor to "Lichgates," and is the second book in "The Grimoire Trilogy." Book three is too far off to start holding my breath for, but Boyce had better not delay—I’ve got her email address!

I highly recommend "Treason" to fantasy fans and anyone who loves great fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Treason.

dateDown_arrow    newest »