Chickens McShiterson's Reviews > Second Glance

Jul 26, 12

Read in July, 2012

** spoiler alert **
Part One:
Picoult introduces about 432 characters in the first 10-15 pages. A tad overwhelming. Picoult then begins to deftly weave all of the characters together and one wonders how all of this will play out. Then in the last few pages of an otherwise brilliant beginning, one of the characters falls in love with a ghost (Henceforth, he is known as Captain Ghostcrush). Uh-oh. This could get lame.

Part Two:
Background on the ghost character. Pretty substantially engaging stuff- her husband was a eugenicist and heavily involved in the sterilization of "deviant" peoples. The irony: his wife is one of the deviants and is pregnant. Oooh! Scintillating! Part two also includes some pretty fantastic power-violence. Picoult regains my attention.

Part Three:
The most fantastic unraveling into nonsense I have ever read. Captain Ghostcrush meets woman. Woman is ghost's granddaughter. Captain Ghostcrush has difficulty reconciling this. Lame. More lame? Turns out through a twist that granddaughter was saved by Captain Ghostcrush in a car accident several years before this serendipitous meeting. Ridiculously lame: Captain Ghostcrush saves granddaughter in another accident in which a stick of dynamite explodes in his hands. He survives. REALLY? Dynamite? The stuff that's used to blow HOLES in MOUNTAINS? Spare me. Also, other people fall in love within hours of knowing each other, which is wholly unrealistic and sickening.

Overall: Should have ended in fantastic violence with Part Two. The other two hundred pages ruined everything. A shame, really. I guess I'm just not the romantic type who believes that you can fall in love with ghosts.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Second Glance.

dateDown_arrow    newest »