Cass's Reviews > Say It Again In A Nice Voice

3891953
Jul 22, 12

bookshelves: 2012, australian, books-i-own, i-highly-recommend, parenting
Read in July, 2012

I think I wrote this book. I am sure that I wrote this book.

This is the story of motherhood. It follows a young woman from late pregnancy through to the fifth birthday of her second daughter. The author has this amazing ability to capture the truth. She peels off the layers and manages to tell anecdotes that capture all of your emotions. I kept highlighting, and giggling, and burying my head in the book to muffle my screams of "yes yes yes".

I kept passing the book to my husband saying things like "see I am not the only person to get shitty at a husband for wearing shoes when the kids are asleep".

A well-written, honest, funny story about a woman coming to terms with the difficulties and loneliness of being a mum. I have read books like this before, (Hear Me Roar comes to mind) that leave me feeling depressed and hopeless. What I loved about this one is that somehow it made me feel like it was all going to be okay. This woman was telling all the horror stories of parenting in a way that made me know that she thought it was all worth it, even though she never really jammed that message down my throat. It was as if her writing style sent me that message. She was looking back and laughing, I would one day look back and laugh.

I am dropping this book around to my closest mummy buddy. There is a whole chapter that expresses the thrill of meeting that amazing friend who is exactly like you. I wanted to write in the margins "this is you", but I was too busy juggling a baby to hold a pen.

5 stars and I am recommending this book to all my mum friends.

ETA: My aforementioned friend loved it and read it twice before handing it back. We now regularly quote it to each other.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Say It Again In A Nice Voice.