Annie's Reviews > The Happiest Refugee: A Memoir

The Happiest Refugee by Anh Do

Jul 22, 12

Read in January, 2011

Not sure if anyone remembers- or ever closely followed as much as my family and I did- 'Thank God You're Here' a few years ago, but I certainly do. For no reason in particular it became a family pastime. To be honest I'm not entirely sure how often we enjoyed it, but I can recall these two things; 1. Hamish Blake can kiss me anytime he wants to, and 2. Anh Do is such a great human and I adore his humour and character. This show being a big part of ours lives for about 4 years as i enjoyed Anh's occasional skit I had formed my opinion about him and was certain he was a happy, cute and smiley man who enjoyed doing what he did. Naturally when my dad told me he had a biography we were determined to read it ASAP. When we bought it and I read it for the first time (I've read it 3 times since) I was expecting to be laughing out loud throughout the whole thing, but I wasn't. I was shocked to discover the life that he had because I never would have picked it (in retrospect I should have figured this out from the title). So it wasn't what I was expecting from the Anh I knew in "Thank God You're Here" that Shane Bourne presented to Australia with some sort of cringe-worthy pun, but a completely different side to him that I had never known but enjoyed so thoroughly. The whole way through i was surprised to read about the events of his life, particularly when he explains that he was never the "class clown", which I then felt guilty for assuming. I now have an even greater admiration for Anh, and recommend reading 'The Happiest Refugee' to anyone and everyone who wants to be inspired by his story.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Happiest Refugee.