slayra's Reviews > Chasing Magic

Chasing Magic by Stacia Kane

Sep 05, 13

bookshelves: 2012-reads, in-english, favorites, uf-and-pnr
Read from July 22 to 23, 2012

Chasing Magic (Downside Ghosts Series #5) RATING: 4 stars.

I just love this series so much I don't even know what to say, except fangirl madly and incoherently. The characters are great, different, and I think that is what gives the Downside Ghosts series its magic.

Chess is flawed. Chess is human. She is not pseudo-human but somehow perfect. It's the difference between watching a war movie where everyone is a hero or watching one where there are people running, people scared of the war, even though they are soldiers. Sure, it does our human egos good to see the movie with all the soldiers acting like heroes... but the reality is that heroes aren't just fearless, perfect people that do the right thing. Heroes are flawed, they get scared and they are weak. This is what Kane shows us: an heroine who's seriously screwed-up inside and who's scared, terrified, doubts herself all the time, but still does what needs to be done. This realistic portrayal of humanity, with its weakness, is the series' strongest point and why I keep loving this series so much, even though there isn't as much world development as I (personally, mind), would have liked.

Kane's world is solid, built on more than vague premises and assumptions, more than a simple, generic dystopia, but 5 books in and we know very little about the big events that shaped this society. This is in part because Chess believes the Church (the governing organ in the series) and its precepts completely. But I still feel that there is more that could be explored. The author has centered her plots on Downside (the bad part of town, where gangs run wild) and its inhabitants, for the most part. I'd love to read a book about Haunted Week, why it happened.

Stacia Kane has created a rich world and rich characters that I'd love to continue to follow. I recommend Downside Ghosts to everyone who wants a different urban fantasy. I suppose I ended up talking about the series in general. Oh well.

About this book I'll just say I almost couldn't put it down, it was so good. And, well, Terrible! *fangirl squee* (I know, I know, I just couldn't resist... xD)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chasing Magic.

Quotes slayra Liked

Stacia Kane
“Love you, Chessie,” he murmured. “Ain’t never … Fuckin love you, more’n anything.”
Stacia Kane, Chasing Magic