Jessica's Reviews > How to Be a Woman

How to Be a Woman by Caitlin Moran

Jul 21, 12

Read in July, 2012

I mean, really, who reads books on feminism anymore? Almost no one I know, really, and I'm the first to admit that I spend a whole lot of time in the rarified air of academia. So if no one I know is even reading that kind of stuff, who does? Feminist literature just smacks of pachouli, and hairy armpits, and bitchiness, right? Well, no. Not this one, anyway. Caitlin Moran has written a readable, funny, thoughtful, thought-provoking feminist book appropriate for the twenty first century woman. It reminded me a bit of Tina Fey's memoir, to be honest. You should read it. After reading this, I didn't feel like burning my bra. I felt like hugging myself, and finding an awesome outfit to wear that didn't try to hide any of my self-professed weak spots, and then going out with my husband, since he's my best friend, and having a hell of a lot of fun. Or going bowling (in that same outfit) with the coolest women I know, and drinking vodka. It made me feel good about me, and inspired me as a person and a parent. Read it. Just give it a try. Even if you don't agree with everything she says or every decision she's made, you're guaranteed to have lots of food for thought.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Be a Woman.