Lydia Presley's Reviews > Tigers in Red Weather

Tigers in Red Weather by Liza Klaussmann

Jul 24, 12

bookshelves: 2012, coming-of-age, historic-fiction, fiction
Read from July 21 to 22, 2012

Tigers in Red Weather houses a story that had a very, very bold undertaking. In this story, Liza Klaussmann weaves together a tale that not only spans years (and decades) but also switches from one point of view to the next. What do I mean?

The first section of time periods is devoted to one character, but then we go back to those same time periods, this time seen through the eyes of the next character...so on and so forth. What should have been completely confusing, as a result, is at times repetitive, but also filled with revelation upon revelation heaped on the reader as the story unfolds.

While reading Tigers in Red Weather I was reminded of eating an artichoke. No, really, I was. One by one the petals get pulled away and savored, enjoyed, then discarded until finally those last few are peeled away and the heart of the artichoke (or story) is bared, ready to be fully devoured and relished. And that's what happened with this story - I devoured those final moments and was shocked by what they meant to the rest of the story.

In some ways, Tigers is a coming-of-age story - for both the young people and their parents involved in the story. In others, it's a tragic look at how different things were in the 40's, 50's, and 60's. Post-war relationships are thoroughly explored, innocence lost, and family relationships are brutally bared as their secrets come to light.

A thoroughly engrossing novel.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tigers in Red Weather.