Lisa Christen's Reviews > The Next Best Thing

The Next Best Thing by Jennifer Weiner

Jul 21, 12

Read in July, 2012

I finally liked this book during the last few pages. Up until this point it was a so-so book. I was enjoying the characters and the story, but the last few pages is when it finally clicked and I liked it.

Ruth Saunders and her grandmother, who raised her, head to Hollywood from a life out east so that Ruth can try to make it as a screenwriter. Six years and a couple of jobs later, she finally gets the call - the show she wrote, The Next Best Thing, is being picked up to be a sitcom. Ruth's dream comes true and she has her show. Meanwhile, she has a crush on her boss and her grandmother, who also becomes an extra, is going to re-marry.

This fast paced book shows what it may be like to be involved in the Los Angeles show business culture. The many sides of actors/actresses, the executives telling Ruth what is going to happen to her story, the life there is all shown in this story.

it is a roller coaster of a ride and an easy read if you need one for the summer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Next Best Thing.