L8blmr's Reviews > Standing in the Rainbow

Standing in the Rainbow by Fannie Flagg

Jul 23, 12

Read from July 21 to 23, 2012

I've had this book in my TBR stack for ages; my mother read it, loved it, and gave it to me to read. I'm not sure why I put it off for so long, but I'm glad I finally got to it.

This is the story of a small town in Missouri but its citizens and the town itself could be right out of my own childhood in rural Georgia. Though it predates me a bit, beginning in 1946, the tale weaves through the decades and calls to mind certain people and experiences in my own past, particularly the character of Neighbor Dorothy who hosts a radio show from her own home. It became apparent very quickly why my mother was so fond of this book; she, too, had a radio program beginning in the 60's at a station in a very small town in South Georgia.

If you're a child of the South, and of a certain age, I can practically guarantee that you will find characters in this book you can laugh at, cry with, fret over, love, hate or relate to in some way, but you will not be left lukewarm by this story or I would have to question the condition of your heart.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Standing in the Rainbow.