leah's Reviews > Eon: Dragoneye Reborn

Eon by Alison Goodman

Jul 21, 12

Read in July, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I HATE it when I can guess the main "twist" of the book 1/4 of the way in and then I have to spend the next 3/4 screaming at the main character for being a dumbass because she won't get with the program until the very freaking end.

This book had such promise, which is I think why it made me so angry about the things that sucked. I loved the world building, and for the most part loved the detail (although I admit to skimming. I don't need to know how many statues there were in a courtyard), but when it's super duper obvious that Eona's dragon is a female, OF COURSE you can only commune with it as a female.

And I guess I'm not too fond of the binary male/female thing, either. It fits with the medieval China setting, but it was harped on so much, probably in an attempt to misdirect readers from the point, that it started to be annoying.

I also just don't like a heroine who can't think outside the box. She spends so much of the time panicking and thinking that if only she could be more man-like she would be saved, and never actually sits down to think about things, jfc.

And that's not even touching on the whole disabled able-ist problems.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eon.