Susan's Reviews > If I Were You

If I Were You by Lisa Renee Jones

Jul 24, 12

Read from July 24 to 25, 2012

My, my I loved this book!

I needed a bit of a change of pace having read back-to-back-to-back contemporary romances...sweet, easy reading...that I was ready for a kick in the butt. "If I were You" provided such kick! :)

I don't typically do the "synopsis" in my reviews, but I felt like the one attached to this book didn't really accurately portray the story. Sara is essentially a "voyeur" into Rebecca's life by reading her BDSM-filled journals. Rebecca goes missing (off on a "vacation") and Sara decides to find out what happens. In doing such she takes over her job for the Summer (or until she returns) and meets Chris (*sigh*...love), a talented, rich, charming artist with a self-proclaimed dark side. As she struggles w/ her feelings for him, she also tries to come to grips with the fact that she wants to keep this job, all the while feeling a responsibility to find out what has happened to Rebecca.

Now, that being said, book 1 is entirely about Sara and Chris and their budding relationship. Chris starts out charming and the male lead of your dreams. He alludes to a dark side that would send Sara running, but other than some "control" issues, you don't see much of this until a sneak-peak at the end of the book...and even that and the way he rebounds from this revelation, makes him so desirable. Sara comes w/ her own issues and I find myself really liking her.

The book hits a bit of a slow patch around the 70% mark...when Sara and Chris hit-up Napa for the weekend. I'm certain (or at least I hope) this part serves a purpose in the grand scheme of the trilogy, but in book 1 alone, it strayed from the "Rebecca's journal" connection and I also felt like Chris, no matter how distant/cold he could became, didn't read like the Chris we were coming to know.

Still the last couple chapters brought the book home in a FANTASTIC..."What the heck?"...kind of way and now I find myself desperate to read the next book! Considering book 1 hasn't even officially been released, I'm tormented that I'll have to wait...

I see the comparison to Fifty Shades, but I find this book less smutty :) (still, HOT!...but not as shockingly erotic), but with a MUCH better (or at least more promising) storyline. And Chris is 100 times more charming that Christian...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If I Were You.

07/24/2012 page 56
14.58% "Really, really into this! But, I'm hoping this story isn't going to twist into what I think it will. *sigh* Patience, grasshopper...I'll find out soon enough."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Yvette Huerta please let me know if this is a good book! ive been buying and reading books until i get to the 50% mark then i get bored... sigh!!

Susan I loved it! But, I'm kicking myself because there's a major cliffhanger and I'm DYING that books 2 and 3 aren't out yet!

KatLynne Great review Susan! Like you, I can hardly wait for book #2! Why do I read books that end in cliffhangers!...LOL