Ami's Reviews > Point of No Return

Mar 15, 2015

bookshelves: mm-cops-detective-guard, mm-romance-or-erotica
Read from August 19 to 20, 2012

3.75 stars rounded up

To be honest, about the first 3/4 part of the book, this book is just okay for me. The main narrator (Matthew Elliott, the detective) and his boyfriend (Kira Takeo Franco, half Spanish-half Japanese and a fantastic trainer) are likeable protagonists. They sure grinned/laughed/smiled/blushed/chuckled a lot -- so I assume they have wonderful time together and have lovely conversations (though some of those conversations are not written in details, I just have to trust they are).

The things that they do together are the usual couple activities -- dine in, dine out, meet the parents ... One thing I highly appreciate is that the sex scenes part are pretty much skated over. That's nice. Considering I'm worried that this book will be filled with that, since their first sex happens pretty early on after their first date.

... however, while I enjoy that, I was in a bit of mood of something that is either strongly emotional or kicks my adrenaline. So I was prepared to give this only around 3 stars. UNTIL, the bad guys up the ante of their threats, and things get pretty intense. THAT is the one that tips the favor of this book to my 4-stars category. I guess the bad guy/twist way before the detectives did though.

I love the suspense because Matthew and his partner and the two other detectives are running against time to save their loved ones. I admire Kira during (view spoiler) because as the boyfriend of a detective (and he's not a detective) he surely KICKS ASS!!! He's no damsel in distress, that's for sure. (view spoiler) makes me all teary eyed.

So, a bit mundane in the beginning, but kicks up the notch around the last 1/4 part until the end. Quite worth the read!

PS: I am not even annoyed with the few "baby" as terms of endearment. It's the right amount. Oh, no demands for Matthew to come out of the closet too, which again is appreciated.
33 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Point of No Return.

08/18
15.0% "so far, it is pretty nice. i enjoy reading the beginning of a relationship where they don't immediately jump sheet"
08/18
24.0% "oops, talking too fast, because a couple chapters later ... yeah, skimming that one."
08/18
40.0% ""You're on my side of the bed" ... "It smells like you" ---> yeah, I know it's sappy but I don't care cause I just went awwwwwwww"
03/08 marked as: read

Monique ~ Sinfully Love the review Ami, one to add for sure....and the rating, well that is the part that makes me LOL...:D

message 2: by Ami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami Thank you, Monique. I like making you and Kate happy *wink*

message 3: by Mandapanda (last edited Aug 19, 2012 03:12PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mandapanda How do you work out your ratings? Is it like Goodreads infamous 'special secret sauce'? ;)

message 4: by Ami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami Why yes, Mandy, it is a hush hush recipe :-). It is not difficult, though, I just compare the books with my already rated 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5 stars, and figure where the fall in the spectrum. It is pretty fun thing to do, though *grin*

Chris I guess the bad guy/twist way before the detectives did though.

message 6: by Ami (last edited Aug 19, 2012 07:45PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami Chris wrote: "You and me both! The detectives seemed awfully slow on the uptake on that one..."

I thought ... come on you guys, the hint from that CI, Ferret, is GLARING enough for you to take notice or at least make a deduction!

Chris YES!! I thought the same thing. :D

Also, GRs, I am annoyed that you have decided I need to ferret out updates on my own instead of sending me emails. Grrrrr.

message 8: by ElaineY (last edited Aug 22, 2012 05:22PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

ElaineY Hi Ami. I didn't get far enough for the action scenes to kick in. It was just one too-sweet, low-key romance from the start and like you, I was in the mood (or expecting) for a grittier story. I might just pick this back up to finish seeing as Love the Sinner is going to turn out disappointing.

message 9: by Ami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami ElaineY wrote: "Hi Ami. I didn't get far enough for the action scenes to kick in. It was just one too-sweet, low-key romance from the start and like you, I was in the mood (or expecting) for a grittier story. I mi..."

Yeah, the action scenes don't start until about 75% of the book, so it's quite a long wait. If you're up for something grittier, better look for it somewhere else first before coming back to the story.

ElaineY Ami wrote: "ElaineY wrote: "Hi Ami. I didn't get far enough for the action scenes to kick in. It was just one too-sweet, low-key romance from the start and like you, I was in the mood (or expecting) for a grit..."

Thanks, Ami. Not in generous or patient moods these days...

ElaineY I'm loving the author's cute 65 hours so much that I'm going to give Point of No Return another chance. Looks like I'm in a mood for sweet and might last until the action kicks in. I don't see a second title to the series yet but I'm assuming this first installment is standalone.

message 12: by Ami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami I actually have no idea if this will become a series, E. So at the moment, this will definitely act as stand-alone.

ElaineY Ami wrote: "I actually have no idea if this will become a series, E. So at the moment, this will definitely act as stand-alone."

I didn't either until I saw that it's listed as Book one of Point of No Return.