Stephen's Reviews > Judas Unchained

Judas Unchained by Peter F. Hamilton

6.0 stars. On my list of "All Time Favorite" Novels. As has been mentioned before, this book is really the second half of a much larger book began in Pandora's Star. When counting the first book, this story comes in at almost 2000 pages. As daunting as that may seem, I was amazed by how easy it was to stay focused on the story. All of the different plot lines were so interesting and well done that I was never waiting for the pace to quicken. No doubt, Hamilton spends considerable time on details and minor plot points, but he does it so well and adds so many interesting bits about the universe that it never seems to drag.

In addition to Hamilton's superb writing, the two greatest attributes on the novel are (1) the incredibly detailed, complex plot, the gradual but steady advancement of which is the common thread throughout the story and (2) the universe of the "Commonwealth" that is as good as any I have ever seen in science fiction (yes including giants like Dune and The Foundation Trilogy).

This series raises the bar considerably on what grand scale space opera should be. HIGHEST POSSIBLE RECOMMENDATION!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Judas Unchained.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Whispers from the Pirate's Ghost Whisper Cool, I just finished the first one of this series and thought it was great... I'm glad the second is good too!

message 2: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee Based on pandora's star, I feel the exact same way as you do. It was so good that after only 2 books and a week I was already itching to start the second really long half, so I did. Love hamilton's style, like you I don't mind the little digressions, they are very entertaining and add depth. Wasn't sure I'd find SF as good as Ender's Game, the Hyperion Cantos, Spin, etc. again but I was wrong. Cheers!

Whispers from the Pirate's Ghost Whisper I also liked the slow build up to action in the first book, and the way the second book didn't go back over old ground and quickly got back to the same level. I really liked both of these. (And it's a good review Stephen, thanks!)