Christopher's Reviews > Page

Page by Tamora Pierce

Aug 03, 12

bookshelves: fiction, read-to-may
Read from July 21 to August 01, 2012

Part of me was becoming annoyed at Kel in this book for being so good at all the tasks placed before her. She is a natural leader and top of her class in nearly all challenges. Her only flaw is the fear of heights and seems so strong and jarring that I felt like I was reading a min-maxed character sheet with the flaws limited to a 15-point phobia of heights and social stigma-girl in page training.

However, this thought was often chased by another. Kel is presented as a pioneer, a new recruit challenging social norms. Historically, when such social norms are challenged, the first classes to overcome the prejudicial old system often end up becoming an effective elite, especially in a military setting (e.g. the Tuskeegee Airmen). The commitment to the goal is made before ever entering training and competition and, like Kel, the breakthrough candidates often hold themselves to outrageously high standards as a defense against attacks from the 'old-guard.' Anyone not 100% committed to such a system would never be the one to break the old rules.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Page.