Laura Hartley's Reviews > Halo of the Damned

Halo of the Damned by Dina Rae

Jul 21, 2012

Read from July 21 to 22, 2012

When I signed up for this book tour, I thought that Halo of the Damned was going to be your average paranormal romance with all the usual clichés - but I was wrong. Halo of the Damned is something different and unique that takes paranormal romance and throws a bit of gore, horror and mystery at it. The writing is absolutely superb and the story keeps you gripped from beginning to end. The book's description drew me in as it sounded like this book was going to be a mixture of old and new worlds which is exciting. This book is a mix of so many genres and I was surprised at how well they all meshed together. It is unusual for horror, romance and mystery to fit so well together, but somehow Dina Rae did it.

I was slightly taken aback by the opening scene which was rather gory and very creepy. There are some passages of this novel which are really disturbing and some might even classify them under the 'horror' genre. These scenes didn't bother me or deter me from reading, I just wasn't expecting them to be there. If you're not comfortable reading slight gore, then this probably isn't the book for you; however, it's not the sort of stuff that'll give you nightmares - at least, I don't think it is.

I thought that the layout of the book was a bit peculiar as each chapter only consisted of about 2 pages and the chapter alternated between plot strands. I'm not sure whether or not this was a good or a bad thing, probably a mix of both. It was good because each little snippet left you hungry for more thereby keeping you interested for the entirety of the novel; however, it did make the story a little jumpy. The short chapters had me turning pages like crazy, desperate to see how the two story lines merged together.

I could never quite figure out whether or not I liked the character Andel or not. He was just so bad - and not in a bad boy way, in an evil way. This made his character intriguing and unpredictable which added to the mystery of this book. I was curious to see how the relationship between Joanna and Andel panned out and I finished this book in no time at all.

It was great to read a paranormal romance with darker themes because it was quite a contrast from the usual YA paranormal romances that I read. Fans of this genre won't be disappointed; however, this isn't one for the faint-hearted. This story is completely unique and a must read for people who love books about fallen angels. It is not in the least bit predictable and I had absolutely no idea what was going to happen next as I turned each page. This book wasn't at all what I had expected it to be and whilst it is a 'paranormal romance', don't think that you know what sort of book this is, because you don't. You'll have to read it yourself to find out what I mean!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Halo of the Damned.

07/21/2012 page 35