E. Bard's Reviews > The Wrong Mother

The Wrong Mother by Sophie Hannah

U 50x66
Aug 05, 12

Read from July 26 to August 04, 2012

This was a very detailed and convoluted story. As a mystery, there were hints and clues throughout, but nothing really obvious (which is good) - plus - a truckload of subplots and characters to make it interesting and confusing (also very good). But there were some leaps that moved the story along that I just didn't get. They seemed like holes and that might be what's holding me back from giving this book a rating. Then again, it might just be that it took me quite a while to read so I forgot important details. Or, I might have gotten lost in the subtleties. It might even have been the writing style changing back and forth from first person, diary to third person that through me off. However, I don't really think so. Without making this a spoiler that would give anything away, or really tell a potential reader anything about the story, I should try to explain. I would say the part of the story where the detectives discover a link to the nanny - that was an example of that kind of leap. It was kind of all of a sudden, handled through dialogue and not very clear. It's not the best example of what I mean, but there were more things like that.

Overall, I just don't know if I really liked the story. It's very hard to describe how I felt about the novel because I think it might just be that I read this one without reading the novels that precede it. It was very well done and original in how it was put together. I know people who really enjoyed this book and I do think it was good. So I'm fairly divided on how to rate this. It was a good story - maybe great even - but I didn't really enjoy it as much as I'd hoped.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wrong Mother.

07/26/2012 page 164