Debbie's Reviews > When the Cookie Crumbles

When the Cookie Crumbles by Virginia Lowell

Jul 21, 12

bookshelves: mystery
Read in July, 2012

"When the Cookie Crumbles" is a cozy mystery that left me craving gingerbread. It's the third novel in the series, but you don't need to read the previous novels to understand this one, and this one didn't spoil the previous mysteries.

I enjoyed the characters in this cozy. There was a good variety of personality types, and the characters acted in realistic ways to the different situations. Olivia was a sensible gal who handled people well and was likable. The details about cookie decorating and cookie cutters were described well enough to give a feel for what went into the job and and for the reader see the main character's passion for them but without so much detail that it slowed the story.

The suspense was created by relationship tensions and from wondering whodunit. The mystery was interesting and kept me reading to see what the next clue would be. I did finally settle on whodunit shortly before the big reveal, but I couldn't figure out the motive and I'm still not sure I follow whodunit's reasoning (though I don't think whodunit's reasoning was supposed to be logic).

There was a minor amount of explicit bad language. There were no sex scenes (though plenty of past affairs were mentioned). Overall, I'd recommend this enjoyable mystery.

I received this book as a review copy from the publisher.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When the Cookie Crumbles.