Edward's Reviews > Think of a Number

M 50x66
Jul 21, 2012

it was ok
Read on July 21, 2012

This book kind of let me down. I read the blurb on the back and was promised a genius detective and a plot based on mind games based on numbers. What I found instead, was a detective who had most of the problems solved blatantly by his wife (not like in House where she says something and everything clicks together, she literally tells him the answers most of the time) and only 2 mysteries based on numbers in the entire book. I'm not saying the overall effect of the intrigue wasn't good, but it wasn't spectacular either. I don't read a lot of crime but this book also let me down in terms of it's writing and exposition as well. Where normally writers would attempt to show you the characteristics of their characters, John Verdon explicitly TELLS you what to think, mainly through unconvincing thoughts from the characters. (Who really thinks to themselves "interruption was a by-product of my greatest strength: the linear, logical mind that had made me such a successful detective-- the mind that was jarred by the slightest discontinuity in a suspect's story, that could sense a fissure too tiny for most eyes to see." talk about full of himself right and unconvincing right?) And so I can only give this book 2 stars. The not-so-great character development and the let down from the promised number mysteries really cuts it down for me. I probably won't end up reading any more of this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Think of a Number.