Nancy's Reviews > Stay At Home Dead

Stay At Home Dead by Jeffrey   Allen

Aug 10, 12

Read from July 21 to August 10, 2012

Imagine my surprise when I picked up this book for a quick little look and found that I could not put it down. Recently, I have had horrible luck with cozies – thinking that this was just another in a long list of less than entertaining fluff, I kept by expectations low.

Jeffrey Allen (another pen name for Jeff Shelby) surprised me. The humor is over the top funny, the main characters are engaging, and the storyline, though a bit simplistic is very entertaining. In this book, you get to meet the people. Those unique personalities that make up a small town.

After the birth of their daughter, Deuce Winters, a high school teacher and his wife Julianne, a rising attorney, decided that it would be best for Deuce to be the stay at home dad. This took some getting used to and not without a couple of eye rolls from their fellow neighbors in Rose Petal, Texas.

Growing up and remaining in a small town means that everyone knows your business, so when the body of an old high school football rival shows up dead in the back of Deuce’s minivan, the town knows that Deuce must have done it.

There is a bit twisting to find out why the said knife is in the said body, in the said minivan. Deuce does not have time to listen to the gossip, he has to get his daughter to preschool where he is the reigning Room Dad and will not give in to the vicious catty W.O.R.M’s that want him out.

This book had me laughing from start to finish. The relationship between Deuce and his wife is perfect. You can feel the respect that they have for each other and without their humor, neither one of them could get through what this town has thrown at them. Their daughter is precious and Deuce’s parents have their way of keeping everyone in line.

Love these people, love this town.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stay At Home Dead.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ingrid (new) - added it

Ingrid Parker Sounds like a goodread...I'll place it on my book shelf, cor future read. Thanks.