Jani's Reviews > Black Man

Black Man by Richard K. Morgan

Jul 21, 12

Read in July, 2012

A recommendation lead me to reading another Morgan thriller after being entertained by Altered Carbon, severely disappointed by Broken Angels and somewhat restored to faith of him being a bit more than one hit wonder after Woken Furies. In many ways I'm glad, since Black Man is easily ta least the second beast novel by him so far.

The story is, again, ruthless tale of a lonewolf-kinda super soldier on a hunt. Again, the enemies are scrupulous, there are hardly any whites visible from the shades of gray and violence is in abundance. On a brighter note, Morgan again (this being, like in Altered Carbon) has interesting ideas of future posthumanity, in this case mostly about gene manipulations. However, once again, these ideas area bit squandered as Morgan is too busy creating "a tight-paced thriller" set with gore and gunfights (seriously, did he put the sharkbuster there just to have bodies flying in several blood-drenched pieces) to actually explore even half the potential that these ideas could have. Again, I'm a little disappointed. Ok, I might be reading this a bit too much from an academic interests point-of-view and perhaps these kinda thrillers just ain't my thang, but still I feel like Morgan could probably have loosed another twist in his puzzle of a conspiracy to deal with his world in a more profound way and at the same time he could have come up with a more thrilling end too for a book that now is left a bit anticlimactic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Man.