Rosemarie's Reviews > The House on Mango Street

F_50x66
Nov 30, 08

Recommended for: everyone
Read in November, 2008, read count: 1

The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros isn't classified as a novel. In other words it was a type of book that included many different stories. I wasn't used to this way of writing because each chapter was less than four - five pages. Even though it was a new experience for me, I absolutely loved this book. I admired the way Sandra Cisneros uses metaphors and simalies to describe Mango Street. Esperanze the main character explains the meaning of how it feels to live in Mango Street a total new place forr her. Esperanza fills us with different stories with her family. Esperanza was the type of person who had a different way of life. She wasn't very fond of her name and wanted to change it. Later on she finds the true meaning within it and realizes... I don't want to give away the ending so you should just grab a book and continue reading. For a short book it included so many explanations and detailed sentences describing her whole family. Mango street isn't the best place to live the way Esperanza describes it. I love how she can go on and on talking about her family and different situations that happened in her life. In other stories these characters can just bore you, but when she talks its all different. I look forward to read more books about Sandra Cisneros and hope they are as good as this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House on Mango Street.