Mark Bennett's Reviews > Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar

Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed

Aug 18, 2013

bookshelves: health-psychology-cultural-anthropo, literarature-art, love-of-language-search-for-self, philosophy
Read from July 19 to August 12, 2012 — I own a copy

On July 28th I attended Ms. Strayed's event at Warwick's Books in La Jolla. Prior to purchasing TINY BEAUTIFUL THINGS..., I had read two online works of hers that blew me away. They were compelling, profound, unsettling and inspiring: What We're Hungry For and The Love of My Life.

Can't quite find the words yet, she's like no author I've engaged. I wrote of her briefly in my novel-blog, apart: in the midst of, and Max's reaction is my first reaction, my first attempt at making meaning from engaging her.

She's as loving, kind, empathetic, fierce, fearless and forthright a human being as I've ever read/encountered. Bar none. As I recently posted on Facebook in response to a friend's question about Strayed's writing:

"It will be a while before I can fully understand and appreciate what she has given me. I have done a great deal of reading in five decades, much of it philosophical and probing, and I can tell you this, that no other writer, author, poet or philosopher has gotten to me the way Ms. Strayed has, no other. She is unsurpassed."

Oh, one more thing. I had her sign three copies of TBT as I had a couple of people in mind, to send the books as gifts. Then I found I wanted more copies and logged into my Powell's Books account and bought the last of their signed editions. And of course last night I ended up back at Warwick's buying four more with "autographed copy" stickers. I am a tad obsessed, in a position to give these away when a conversation turns toward thoughtful, introspective and self-revelatory truth-telling.

A must read for anyone who's asking questions and wondering how to be in the world, for anyone who wants to make love the end-all and be-all in their life. ♥

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tiny Beautiful Things.