Rebecca Elswick's Reviews > The Ghost of Mandy Rosental

The Ghost of Mandy Rosental by J.S. Egan

Aug 09, 2012

Read from July 25 to August 09, 2012

If I could give the character, Mandy Rosental 5 stars then I would! She was an exceptionally well-crafted character who I "loved to hate." There were also other characters who would have been, in my opinion, more interesting if they had had a voice. As much as I love first person narratives, I struggled with this one. I believe the book would have been better if it were in third person. I say this for two reasons. First, I found it distracting to keep being interrupted with remarks that were Mandy's "thoughts". The writer teacher in me cringed at the over use of parenthesis and exclamation marks. The second reason I think it needed to be written from a third person point of view is the character Alex. She often appeared without warning and I found myself confused for many pages as to whether Alex was a she or he. She had no voice to explain herself and I think that was a weakness in the book.

The too abrupt ending left me with my mouth open. I am the first writer to say that you should leave the reader with some questions - with wanting more, but I also feel that the writer makes promises to the reader when he/she spins a story and a certain amount of closure is necessary. There were simply too many unanswered questions. What happened to Mandy and Alex's relationship? Did Alex discover Mandy's deception?

J. S. Egan is an excellent writer, often waxing poetic. I loved the way his descriptions put me "there." He captured the time and place beautifully. I plan to read his first book and I look forward to reading his next novel.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ghost of Mandy Rosental.

message 1: by J.S. (last edited Aug 10, 2012 01:15AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.S. Egan Thank you for your thoughtful review :)

(view spoiler)