C's Reviews > Birdsong

U 50x66
Jul 21, 2012

bookshelves: 1001
Read in March, 2012

First, the cover of this edition is gorgeous. I decided to read this one as there is a BBC mini-series happening next week. (Sadly it has the actor who played Angel Clare in Tess of the D'Urbervilles, which is why I hate knowing who will be in movie/show versions before I read the book, his name was ironically Angel for a reason.) It is also on the '1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die' list. The first hundred pages is a bit slow-going for me, as it involves the start of an affair, which really doesn't interest me. But then that just makes the action of World War I more intense when it starts up. Wow is there action. I think that was the purpose of the first hundred pages. Really, mainly the people that the main character Stephen Wraysford is closest to, are those he fought with in the war. He has no one sending him care packages, when another soldier says he gets two a week. The war is intense from the very first page it is featured, and most of it involves underground tunnel digging to both listen to the enemy and plant explosives. I don't want to say too much to ruin it for others. I didn't feel the affair needed to take 100 pages, when compared to something like war, it isn't very important, though because Stephen Wraysford is an orphan and thinks that no one cares if he lives or dies, it's important to him. An excellent example of war fiction here.

Comments after watching the BBC show: The show is very good, but they did take some liberties with the story. The story in the show makes it more emotionally gripping, I think, and it's well paced, but it is missing some key moments in the book that make the book really great. In both the book and the movie Jack Firebrace is my favorite.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Birdsong.