All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > London Eye

London Eye by Tim Lebbon

Review Courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

Unlike most post apocalyptic stories where the entire world is affected, in LONDON EYE, the first book in Tim Lebbon’s Toxic City series,only London was attacked. The story moves fast and many of the action scenes are wonderfully intense and scary especially the few that happen in dark enclosed places. What I really enjoyed was the profoundly creepy news blurbs at the beginning of the chapters consisting of the radio broadcasts immediately following the terrorist attack. These blurbs only start appearing before the chapters when Jack and his friends approach London. This helps increase the desolation and eeriness of the present day London Jack encounters when he enters the city.

While the depiction of a devastated London was very well described, I was left with a few questions about just how the survivors started evolving ‘strange, fantastic powers. I also had to suspend disbelief over the rapid development of these powers a mere two years after the attack, and why no one in the book questioned the sudden appearance of these burgeoning abilities.

Questions about how this evolution happened aside, I did love the ‘X-Men’ like powers they develop such as rapid healing and foresight. I also enjoyed seeing the ways people evolved and the exploration of life in London post-attack, but was left wanting more in character development. Some of the relationships between this group of supposedly close friends seem to be pretty superficial. At times they really care for each other but at other times they almost forget they exist.

LONDON EYE reveals a unique dystopian world filling a decrepit London with rapid human evolution. I enjoyed the premise though I was left with more questions than I wanted and found the character development to be uneven. I look forward to seeing my questions cleared up in the next book in the Toxic City series which should be published in 2013.

sexual content: n/a

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read London Eye.