Jodi Davis's Reviews > Getting Over Garrett Delaney

Getting Over Garrett Delaney by Abby McDonald

Sep 07, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-challenge, 5-stars, chicklit, relationships, reviewed, stand-alone
Read on September 07, 2012

Review also posted at my blog

Sadie has been in love with her best friend Garrett for two long years. Two years of waiting and wishing that he would realize that they were perfect for each other. But when they are separated for the summer and he calls to say that he is in love and the girl he loves isn't Sadie, she decides that enough is enough. Armed with her new barista job, some fun coworkers, a rejuvinated friendship and a selfehlp program, she is determined to get over Garrett Delaney, and maybe even discover a new love in the process.

This novel was so cute! The characters are fantastic. They are all unique and fun. You can't help but just like them all. Their banter with one another is real and natural. I spent so much of the book either laughing out loud or smiling. I smiled for the whole what, three hours I tore through this book in and now my cheeks hurt.

The plot was really simple, Sadie wants to get over Garrett, she tries and fails miserably and then her friend and coworkers step in to help. Between them, she makes great progress, learns a lot about her friends, love in general, and herself. It's a wonderful coming of age type tale. The light writing and fun dialogue really help keep you reading.

Overall this book was too precious. It's a perfect rainy day read when you need to clear the storm clouds away and find a smile. I usually don't give fluff books 5 stars, but I couldn't help myself here. It was just too cute.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Getting Over Garrett Delaney.

Quotes Jodi Liked

Abby McDonald
“You’re not in love with me, not really, you just love the way I always made you feel. Like you were the center of my world. Because you were. I would have done anything for you.”

Abby McDonald
“I can't keep doing this to myself, getting my hopes up so high, only to have them come crashing down. I can't keep waiting for him to come to his senses, having my whole emotional state rest on what he decides. What if he never wakes up to how perfect we'd be together? What if I spend another year pining for him - or longer even? In a terrible flash, I see my future stretching out before me: waiting for his calls, rearranging my life around college visits, and decoding texts and instant messages like they could be something real, something true.

This isn't love; this is pure torment.”

Abby McDonald
“You can die of a broken heart -- it's scientific fact -- and my heart has been breaking since that very first day we met. I can feel it now, aching deep behind my rib cage the way it does every time we're together, beating a desperate rhythm: Love me. Love me. Love me.”

Abby McDonald
“When you look in the mirror, what do you want to see: yet another reminder of your hopeless attempt to be the girl of his dreams, or you? The answer should always be you.”

Abby McDonald
“The less time you spend dreaming up a world of happily ever after, the more time you'll have to actually live -- no evers or afters required.”

Abby McDonald
“So how are we suppose to win? On the one hand, the world tells us that capital-L Love is epic, and all-conquering, and the meaning of everything, but on the other, it drills us with this message that we shouldn't make any sacrifice or effort to pursue it, because that would make us weak, unempowered, desperate, silly girls.”

Abby McDonald
“They probably have me up on a poster by now. Warning: this girl is emotionally unstable. Do not allow near hot beverages.”

Abby McDonald
“How is it?" I ask as we stroll towards the dressing rooms. "Working at the playground. That must be fun."
"Sure, they're just adorable," she says, "For the first five minutes. And then I want to wring their adorable little necks."
I stop, shocked. "I always figured you loved kids."
"Yeah, no." Kayla shakes her head emphatically. "One kid, I can do, even two-- just stick them in front of a Disney movie, let them play Xbox all night. But a herd of them?" She shudders.”

Abby McDonald
“Don't write off a book (or person, or movie) just because it had a pink, sparkly cover.”

Abby McDonald
“I wouldn't settle for the easy path; I would be someone extraordinary, no matter how hard it made things right now. But now, looking back, I wonder if we weren't just as bad as the bitches and cliques we made fun of, thinking we were different, above them all.”

Abby McDonald
“Just because people say something's great, it doesn't mean you have to agree, not if you don't actually enjoy it.”

Abby McDonald
“Why do guys do that?" I ask. "Name their vehicles."

"Ownership." He grins. I reach over and punch him lightly. "What?" he protests. "It's true! And it gives us something to swear when we break down in the middle of nowhere.”

Abby McDonald
“I love getting older," I muse as I carefully begin to peel the layers away. "You're closer to death, but there are presents.”

Abby McDonald
“Love isn't pain. Heartbreak isn't noble or romantic. You deserve better, so don't ever forget.”

09/07/2012
09/07/2012
41.0% "This book is so cute! I swear my cheeks hurt from all the smiling I'm doing."