Goran's Reviews > Railsea

Railsea by China Miéville

Jul 26, 12

Read in July, 2012

This novel takes all that is good about the fantasy genre, cunningly combines it with fascinating concepts normally found in science fiction literature and produces what might well be the best adventure story I've read in ages.

I won't spoil anything, but let it be said that trains abound, the mythology pulses with verve and the ampersands are plenty. The ideas, the mysteries, the sheer monumentality of this world, all of it seems almost as if it has been there forever and the author was just careful and perceptive enough to have noticed it and written it down, wrapping it all into an exciting adventure yarn.

I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone who gags at any mention of the fantastic or the otherworldly, but if imagination is a quality for which you hold any amount of respect then you should definitely give this one a try.

"Railsea" is my first attempt at the art of China Miéville and if I take it to be an omen of what is to come, I could safely say that reading his other works will be free time spent well.

& the giant monsters are always cool. & the ampersands too.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Railsea.