Carsten Thomsen's Reviews > Little House on the Prairie

Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Jul 21, 12

Read in April, 2012

Little House on the Prairie was a step up from Little House in the Big Woods - more is happening here, there’s more tension, funny and exiting and dangerous episodes.

Again I’m fascinated with the detailed description of the pioneer life on the prairie - starting almost from scratch making a house, furniture, fishing, hunting, sowing etc. I’m impressed with Charles’ and Caroline’s ingenuity and industriousness - I love Charles unwavering optimism and zeal in everything he does. The family’s joy over the simplest pleasures, their contentment with little things - their close relationship with their neighbors - I love Mr. Edwards and his Christmas/Santa story.

Settling down in the Indian territory wasn’t however the smartest move the family did. Their situation becomes more and more untenable and eventually they are forced to leave the prairie in fear the US Government will throw them out.

The interactions with the Indians is interesting. The feelings goes from hostility and narrow-mindedness (The Scots), fear and displeasure (Caroline), curiosity and fascination (Laura) and caution and friendliness (Charles).

Of course one has to bear in mind that the novel is a mixture of mainly nostalgic reflection on the past, history seen from the point of view of the settlers and fiction.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little House on the Prairie.