♥Rachel♥'s Reviews > Inbetween

Inbetween by Tara A. Fuller

Aug 25, 12

bookshelves: netgalley-e-book
Read from August 23 to 24, 2012

When I started this story, I really had no expectations since I haven’t read much of anything about Reapers. I was guessing it might be a depressing story considering what Reapers do, thankfully I was very wrong.

Finn is a Reaper, someone who collects the souls of the dying for the Inbetween. The Inbetween is a place for the souls of people who haven’t yet established their place in the afterlife, whether they’d go to Heaven or Hell is still to be determined. So why do we have Finn urging Emma to fight for her life, instead of reaping her soul, in the opening scene? You see as the story progresses, that Emma is everything to Finn, even if she’s forbidden. Unfortunately for Finn and Emma, she’s everything to Maeve, too; a shade with an axe to grind.

Emma is a seventeen year-old girl who lost her father in a car accident that almost took her life as well. Since then she’s been plagued by dreams of another life and a boy with haunting green eyes, and she feels like someone is watching her. As if that wasn’t enough, Emma’s had several “accidents” or near misses that have almost killed her, since the car accident. Emma doesn’t even think of a future when hers seems iffy at best.

I felt bad for both Emma and Finn, but more so for Emma. She thinks she’s crazy and having hallucinations and with all those close calls, I’d be afraid to leave the house! Emma doesn’t even feel comfortable sharing any this with her best friend, Cash. The last time she told anyone anything, she wound up in a mental institution. I felt bad for Finn too. He constantly watches over Emma, fearing for her safety, yet is forbidden from being part of her life. Of course, he can’t help himself and then I was on pins and needles, wondering what’s going to happen to him. Even though she’s alive and he’s dead and incorporeal we do get a swoony romance. Here’s a teaser for you:

I stepped into Emma, feeling her warmth draw me in. She looked up, eyes wide, her peppermint breath fanning across my face. “What are you doing?” She gasped, unable to catch her breath. I ran an iridescent finger down her arm to her wrist, watched it scatter like stars across her skin. Her breath hitched in her throat. Her heart beat so hard the sound rippled through me like a shock wave. When her eyes met mine, the amount of want in them nearly brought me to my knees.*

At first, I thought there may be a love-triangle in the works because I kept getting thoughts like this from Emma: “Cash was sarcasm and seduction wrapped up with a gooey artistic center. He didn’t need a T-shirt to get any girl he wanted. All he had to do was look at them. The bad part was he knew it.”* I was sort of drooling over Cash throughout the book, but I still didn’t want a love-triangle. Plus, I was a little annoyed with him in the beginning. The fact that Cash didn’t really believe Emma ticked me off. Thankfully, no love-triangle appeared, and I’m happy to report we will get more Cash in the next story. The story will be told in Cash and Anaya’s POVs! Exactly what I hoped for!

This story felt like it flew by, I read it in pretty much in one day. It was a story that easily held my attention, and I was quickly turning the pages eager to find out how things would turn out. I’m pleased that things wrapped up nicely and we weren’t left with a cliffhanger. With the way things were left with Cash, I’m anxious to read the next story.

Thank you to Netgalley and Entangled Teen for allowing me to read this.

You can read the review and more at The Readers Den.

*Quotes are taken from an uncorrected proof and may change in the final copy.
12 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inbetween.

08/23/2012
10.0% "Am I supposed to be rooting for Finn or Cash? I'm kinda liking Cash right now." 6 comments

Stacia (the 2010 club) I just got this one. It looks like it could be fun. I like reaper stories.

♥Rachel♥ I definitely like this cover better than the old one. I hope it's not some horrible cliffhanger. I just now figured out this is book one in a series. Although, it doesn't say how many books are intended.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Hand holding seems to be quite the cover trend lately.

♥Rachel♥ Better than the girl with shampoo commericial hair! Did you see that one?

Stacia (the 2010 club) Haha, no. I'll have to go examine it.

message 6: by ~Tina~ (new) - added it

~Tina~ ♥Rachel♥ wrote: "Better than the girl with shampoo commericial hair! Did you see that one?"

LOL! I like this cover better to:) I still need to get to this. So many dang books lol Happy reading!

♥Rachel♥ I know Tina! I always see one more I want to read, and thanks, happy reading to you too. :)

message 8: by Aa'Ishah (new) - added it

Aa'Ishah Groan. That teaser has me wanting to read this, no matter how much I've been disappointed with reapers. Glad to see this one kept you turning the pages and that it has an ending without a killer cliffhanger. Wonderful review, Rachel! :)

♥Rachel♥ Thank you Aa'Ishah. I love teasers! They always convince me to read books too. :)

Now I'm wondering which reapers you're disappointed with? I almost wrote in my review that this was my first reaper book but then I remembered I read the first Soul Screamers book. Is it that series? I really need to read the other books.

Heidi Yeah I thought this was going to a triangle and was so relieved that it didn't. Cash and Anaya next good to know. I was very fond of Easton myself.

♥Rachel♥ I would've like to know Easton's back-story. The same with Cash. I was waiting for more about his home-life and why he constantly needed to sneak over to Emma's. Maybe we'll get more in the next book.

message 12: by Aa'Ishah (new) - added it

Aa'Ishah :D I know right.

Yep, it was the first Soul Screamers. I'll still be reading the second one, but it definitely won't be with any expectations. It's a shame, because so many people seem to love it. Did you enjoy the first one? I remember reading another book ages ago, but I can't remember what it was called. And there was another one too lol.

♥Rachel♥ I read the first one and liked it. It didn't blow me away but I hear the series gets better. The romance was okay, not that great but I think she doesn't stay with the first guy. Doesn't she start things with the brother, Tod? That's a little messed up, going from one brother to the other but lots of people love the series, so I guess I can't say anything until I read more. Lol!

I think I was more caught up with (view spoiler)

message 14: by Aa'Ishah (new) - added it

Aa'Ishah I agree. Yeah, that's what I've heard. Lol, I know! It's gotta be awkward, too. I don't see myself falling for the series, but what do I know? I could be wrong. I hope I'm wrong. ;)

I know, same here.

message 15: by ~Tina~ (new) - added it

~Tina~ Awesome review girl!! I still need to read this!

♥Rachel♥ Thanks Tina. I was pleasantly surprised by this and I think you'll like it too. :)

Eunice Lovely review, Rachel! I sort of did drool at Cast throughout the story too. Haha! And I thought there was a love-triangle too. Thankfully there wasn't because I would've been totally into Team Cash. Nyahahaha! So glad you enjoyed this. Can't wait for the next book! :)

♥Rachel♥ Thank you Eunice. I guess we get to drool over him some more in the next book! :)

message 19: by Monika (new)

Monika I'm completely happy it lacked a love triangle :D Ehhh, I can't wait to read "Inbetween"!!! Great review, Rachel :)

♥Rachel♥ Thank you Monika. Yes, thank goodness it was free of the dreaded love-triangle. :)