Uen's Reviews > Born on a Blue Day: Inside the Extraordinary Mind of an Autistic Savant

Born on a Blue Day by Daniel Tammet

Dec 07, 08

Recommended to Uen by: library
Recommended for: Everyone
Read in December, 2008

** spoiler alert ** Before I read this book I had known nothing about Daniel Tammet. But now, I'm positively obsessed with learning every little detail about his life.

When I began the book, I was excited because the intro on the inside cover of the book seemed interesting. I mean who wouldn't wan tot read about an autistic genius? But the first chapter of the book, I have to admit, was a little dry becuase he was trying to introduce you to his mind and how he percieved numbers as shapes. Not until the 2nd or 3rd chapter did I start to get really absorbed into understand the quirks he grew up with including collecting acorns and how he really didn't care that he was different from other children. What really astounded me about his childhood days was how great his parents were and how much they cared about him even with their SEVEN other younger children. I really have to applaud the wonderfull patience and understanding they had with him that make them truly exceptional parents.

But on with Daniel's life. Chapters, I think, 5 thru 6 were narrating Daniel's gradual independence. I feel that I also have to applaud Daniel for being able to go out by his own without a significant push from others to get him started. He simply decided to get out of the house and applied to be sent to Lithuania to help people there learn English. Judging from his social awkwardness at times, I think Daniel got situated very quickly and learned all by himself how to interact with others. What really made him comfortable with talking was probably when he taught himself the language extremely quickly. Daniel also made a great decision when he got with a group gay guys and got comfortable with them.

After Lithuania Daniel went home and eventually met Neil online. That was what spurred Daniel to come out to his parents that he's gay and they understood and wanted only the best for him. Then began Neil and Daniel's life together.

The rest of the book is basically talking about Daniel's experience filming Brainman which included reciting pi to 22,500 digits and learnign icelandic in a week. All I'd like to say about this part is that it was really interesting knowing how the filming of the movie went for Daniel. I would strongly encourage anyone to see but reading about the experience makes it all the better.

I learned a lot from reading this book. I learned about a savant that I'd never heard of before as well as how autism works. I was really amazing to understand how he thinks and even now I haven't finished marveling all that he has done and what scientists think of him. I just want to say how cool it is that he can do what he can do and how he's been able to learn past all his social awkwardness and progressed so far.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born on a Blue Day.

11/10/2008 page 27
11.95% "the intro was really dry and not very eyecatching but now in the 2nd chapter he's talking of is childhood and i'm more interested"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ms.Bergman (new)

Ms.Bergman Such a thorough and articulate review. I've learned a lot from reading it and from your excellent reading project!