Sheila 's Reviews > A Suitable Boy

A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth

Nov 11, 12

bookshelves: book-club, historical-fiction, big-book
Read from July 23 to November 11, 2012

How do I review this book? It is long...1,350 pages long...which for this book is TOO long.
It is heavy...as in 4 1/2 pounds heavy...and not available in an e-book version.
I built up my forearm muscles and strained my wrists reading all 1,350 pages of this 4 1/2 pound monstrosity.

As to the contents of the book...did I mention it is TOO long. It was interesting, yes, but too detailed for its own good. The novel covers a year in the life of four familes in India in the 1950's. The story of Lata and her mother's search to find her a "suitable boy" to marry I enjoyed. The story of Mann and his adventures good and bad I enjoyed. The long, detailed dissertations of the political culture of a newly independent India I could have used a bit less detail on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Suitable Boy.

08/13/2012 page 229
15.0% "Interesting so far, and amazingly readable considering the number of characters and the complexity of the whole saga."
08/13/2012 page 229
09/10/2012 page 523
35.0% "Enjoyable, easily readable, but OH SO LONG!"
10/07/2012 page 685
46.0% "Trying to get caught up for the CoL discussion! Boy, this book is LONG!!"
10/21/2012 page 1089
80.0% "This book is too long. I am starting to feel like it is a chore, even though it is interesting, there is just too much unnecessary detail."
show 4 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Be proud of yourself that you read the whole thing!

Sheila Thank you Kathryn. It certainly does feel like an accomplishment to get through a book this big. :o)

message 3: by Denise (new) - added it

Denise Sheila, I know it won't matter to you, but for anyone else reading this- I noticed that it is being released for Kindle in May 2013. If that makes it any more palatable for someone. Thanks for the review. I'm still undecided!