Faith's Reviews > The Madman's Daughter

liked it
bookshelves: historical, murder-mysteries-super-sleuthing, romance
Read in November, 2014 , read count: 2

RATING 3.5 Stars

This book actually was interesting. After a second read, I can appreciate the themes of this novel and the plot. Sure, Juliet can be annoying at times with this bloody love triangle. But there are many things to like about this book if you are willing to dig. It just was not awesome or amazing. It was above average but not an absolute recommend.

This book is about Juliet Moreau, a girl who was abandoned by her father when his work was accused of being unethical. Now, Juliet is on the brink of poverty as her mother is dead and she still wonders if the rumours about her father were true. So when she meets her childhood friend again, she finds out that her father is still alive and begs her friend to take her with him. This book is a retelling of the Island of Dr. Moreau.

This book doesn't get really good until Juliet is on the island. Sometimes, I found myself getting annoyed with the old fashion attitude that Juliet has, as there are points she doesn't defend herself. But it's expected with the time period.

Nevertheless, this book was a very interesting read. There are the ideas that animals will always be animals, people will do what is necessary for survival, one should not play God and that some traits are not inherited, one must make their own lives/ personalities. All of those are mentioned in the novel and it was fascinating how the author carried these themes throughout the whole novel. I'm sure these themes were in the original book, but I love retellings because they make classics easier to understand and more interesting to read for teens.

My problems were that Juliet could be somewhat confusing because of her madness. So that made the romance a little awkward as Juliet was wishy-washy. The plot was interesting but there could have been a bit more suspense. Juliet was a good enough character to read with as she wasn't a wimp or a wuss but i couldn't relate to her. That might have been a bit nice but i can live with that.

So the book wasn't bad. The plot, themes and characters were interesting but I seriously wanted more action, clarity and backstory. I'm interested enough to continue reading because that ending's making me antsy to know more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Madman's Daughter.

02/02/2013 page 144
33.0% "This is getting good!"
02/02/2013 page 144
33.0% "This is getting good!"
02/14/2013 page 264
62.0% "This is getting good! But who am I supposed to fall for?!"
02/20/2013 page 359
85.0% "wait, who does Juliet love? and we're sure about this?!"
show 2 hidden updates…