Lloyd's Reviews > A Cold Day in Paradise

A Cold Day in Paradise by Steve Hamilton

Jul 26, 12

Read from July 21 to 26, 2012

After being pleasantly surprised with The Lock Artist, I immediately jumped into this book. I kept in mind that this was the authors first novel, so I left my expectations low. The book reads well, but kind of lost me about 3/4 of the way through. The mystery itself comes across rather clunky and left me hollow at the end. Give that a big “whatever”. I’m also not sure how I felt about the main character. For an ex-cop he came across rather…unprofessional (I can’t really say stupid – but “foolishly impulsive” might work better). Especially for having been on the force for 8 years. His blatant disregard for the local law enforcement, crime scenes, etc…let’s just say, if this man were real, I wouldn’t want to hire him as my private investigator.

There are 8 more novels featuring this character. I sure hope they get better than this first one, or I can’t see myself going much farther. Again, I have to remember this was the authors first novel.

For now, I’m not going to jump into the 2nd book. I’ll probably come back to it, but right now I need a break.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Cold Day in Paradise.

07/21/2012
5.0% "After immensely enjoying The Lock Artist, I want to try some more Steve Hamilton books. Where better to start than at the beginning? As a former Michigander, I think I'll enjoy the atmosphere."
show 4 hidden updates…