~ Becs ~'s Reviews > If I Were You

If I Were You by Lisa Renee Jones

Aug 10, 12

bookshelves: net-galley-for-review, review-copy, contemporary-romance, dark-angsty, erotic-romance, super-rich-hero, tattooed-hero, smuttastic
Recommended to ~ Becs ~ by: Jill
Read from August 09 to 10, 2012

5 big shiny stars

I’ve read a lot of good books lately and only given them 4 stars. To give a book 5 stars, it’s got to totally consume me, to get deep under my skin and this book definitely did that. I need to feel the intensity of the character’s passion, the ferocity of their feelings and the depths of their despair and it’s all here in this book. It owned me. It would be easy just to sit here and rain down superlatives but I’ll try to be more constructive.

The problem with picking up the first of a trilogy is that you know, if the book is good, that you’re going to be left with questions unanswered and find yourself desperate for more. The book is good. I am desperate for more. All that remains is to wait patiently for the next book and patience is a very overrated virtue.

This book is marketed as Fifty Shades of Grey meets Basic Instinct. I definitely see the 50 shades analogy and its similarity to Bared to You but I can’t see the Basic Instinct comparisons yet although I guess they may come in the final novels. Fifty Shades gets such a bad rap among reviewers these days, I really don’t want to put anyone off – this is really very good and it’s a different story and I was enthralled by it from beginning to end so don’t let that comparison put you off. Please give it a chance.

The book is written in the first person POV and in the present tense. It’s the style used in 50 Shades and I was at first a little unsettled by this but it didn’t last long and I was soon sucked and the words sailed past as I got absorbed in the story. It actually worked well to differentiate between what is happening now and what has happened in the past as revealed by Rebecca’s journal entries.

So, Sara, a school teacher, has found some journals and other items belonging to an Art gallery manager called Rebecca which contains vivid descriptions of her dazzling yet destructive affair with a dominant and controlling man. They’re highly emotive and erotic and Sara decides she must return them to Rebecca. She goes to the art gallery where she works but Rebecca is AWOL and the owner, Mark, offers her a summer job replacing Rebecca after he sees her interacting with prospective clients at the gallery. Sara is an arts graduate and it has always been her ambition to work in the arts field but is she now living Rebecca’s life?

Mark, her new boss, is controlling and dominant and Sara feels sure he is the man Rebecca has written about in the journals. She meets Chris Merit, an artist she has admired for years, and their attraction is instant. Quite clearly, Mark and Chris can barely tolerate one another and Chris begins to behave highly territorially towards Sara around Mark. She eventually embarks on a passionate affair with Chris and they certainly set the pages aflame with their first encounter in Christ’s apartment. It was smoking hot!

Most of this instalment of the trilogy is given over to the amazingly passionate relationship that develops between Chris and Sara. They’re both from highly privileged backgrounds and both feel damaged by this and agree that their relationship is just sex and nothing more and agree not to discuss their pasts but the intensity of their feelings shocks them both. Chris’s feelings for Sara are threatening his control and that’s not something he wants to give up easily. Sara is teetering on the edge of indecision – she’s taken aback by the intensity of their affair but not 100% sure she can trust him.

Their relationship, certainly in the second half of their book, eclipses Rebecca’s storyline but it’s an underlying theme. Where is Rebecca? Who is the unnamed man in her journals? Who is the man watching Sara at Rebecca’s lockup?

We’re left with a truly WICKED cliffhanger which has left me salivating for the next instalment in this trilogy. I can’t wait. Lisa – WRITE FASTER!!

So, please don’t be put off by the Fifty Shades comparisons – this book is its own story. If you like deeply passionate love stories, darkly enigmatic heroes and an intriguing mystery then you should give this book a go.

Thanks go to Jill for the awesome rec!

For more of my reviews, please visit my Sinfully Sexy Book Blog

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If I Were You.

08/09/2012
56.0% "This is HOT!" 15 comments

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Haha! Love that comment Becs!

~ Becs ~ Thanks Kristen - starting it tomorrow I think.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa LOL!

Susan I really liked it. Not as "erotica" as it touts itself to be. But, it's a great read...

message 5: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle [Helen Geek] I have this one too. Can't wait to see what you think!

Jill Great review, Becs! Glad you enjoyed it. For me the mystery was very well done, actually surpassing the relationship between the H/h.

~ Becs ~ Hey Jill - thanks so much for recommending it.

Kelly Great review, Becs! Wow, five stars! I just knew it would be really good. So glad you loved it, sweetie.

~ Becs ~ Thanks Kells - I really hope you feel the same way.

Monique ~ Sinfully... Addicted to All Male Romance Great review Becs, another book added....I do like LRJ's writing so I am looking forward to this one:D

~ Becs ~ Thanks Monique - I'd never read her before this one.

message 12: by Monique (new) - added it

Monique I found this book on net galley and just requested it. The summary really captured my interested. And after reading your review, I'm even more intrigued.

message 13: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle [Helen Geek] Sounds yummy. Can't wait. Loved the review!

~ Becs ~ Thanks Michelle and Monique - hope you both love it as much as I did.

message 15: by Joy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joy Great review Becs

~ Becs ~ Thanks Joy :-)

message 17: by Juls (new) - rated it 3 stars

Juls i havent gotten very far into the book yet, i'm hoping sara isnt as timid as she portrays herself.

message 18: by ~V~ (last edited Aug 10, 2012 12:19PM) (new) - added it

~V~ Great review Becs!! Wow, this sounds good, i'm def. adding it to my to-read list!! :)

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

When will publishers figure out that Fifty Shades is not a genre? LoL. Wonderful review, Becs! I may give it a read once all the books are out. :-)

~ Becs ~ Thanks girls - this is pretty much what 50 shades would have been like with a better plot. I hope you all enjoy it.

message 21: by Glamdring (new) - added it

Glamdring Great review, Becs!

message 22: by ~V~ (new) - added it

~V~ Do you have any idea when she will be releasing the other books in this trilogy? "wicked cliffhanger" kind of frightens me! ;)

~ Becs ~ Thanks Glam x

~ Becs ~ ~V~ wrote: "Do you have any idea when she will be releasing the other books in this trilogy? "wicked cliffhanger" kind of frightens me! ;)"

I saw her tweet Feb and May. I can't bear it! :-(

message 25: by ~V~ (last edited Aug 10, 2012 12:57PM) (new) - added it

~V~ Becs wrote: " ~V~ wrote: "Do you have any idea when she will be releasing the other books in this trilogy? "wicked cliffhanger" kind of frightens me! ;)"

I saw her tweet Feb and May. I can't bear it! :-("

Oh sheesh...i may have to wait on reading this first book until closer to when the others are released! :)

~ Becs ~ If you can resist V!! I never can.

message 27: by ~V~ (new) - added it

~V~ I don't handle cliffhangers well Becs..not unless i have the net book to jump into immediately!! LOL!

Lee Anne - OMG! It's TOOOOO Cold! I thought it was MUCH better than 50 shades. It actually has an Alfred HIthcock Rebecca vibe to me (with some hot sex thrown in!)

~ Becs ~ Me too LeeAnne and I did love Fifty.

Useless info - I was named for the Daphne du Maurier book Rebecca by my mother. It wasn't until I read the book that I realised that she was actually the bitter and twisted dead wife and not the heroine!!

Illusions - shattered.

Lee Anne - OMG! It's TOOOOO Cold! Becs wrote: "Me too LeeAnne and I did love Fifty.

OMG! I'm laughing right now. I shouldn't be, but I am!

message 31: by Kristin (KC) (new) - added it

Kristin (KC) Awesome review, Becs! I added this the second I spotted it bc it just sounded so unique and amazing. Thanks for the confirmation! Must read soon!

~ Becs ~ Thanks Kris - I hope you enjoy it too.

message 33: by Monique (new) - added it

Monique When I read the summary to this book, my mind immediately jumped to Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca. I love that book. And Becs, that 'useless info' is hilarious!

~ Becs ~ LOL Monique - esp as my sister was named for a true heroine! My mother named us both for books.

KatLynne Fantastic review Becs! I loved this book and can hardly wait for the next one.

~ Becs ~ Thanks KatLynne. I saw LRJ tweet that the next books are Feb and May :-(

Crista Fabulous review Becs! You have me completely convinced:)

Splage I cannot wait to read this book...thanks for writing such a great review!

message 39: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Lane Excellent review. Adding to my TBR. (And I'm enjoying 50 Shades much more than I thought I would!)

~ Becs ~ Thanks Crista and Splage. I really enjoyed this one as you can probably all tell by my review. Jennifer, while I really hope you enjoy this book, give yourself some time after finishing the Fifty Shades trilogy before moving onto this one. I think you'll need that distance to be able to appreciate this one afresh.

message 41: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Lane My TBR mountain will make it easy to take your advice, Becs! :-)

~ Becs ~ Monique wrote: "Great review Becs, another book added....I do like LRJ's writing so I am looking forward to this one:D"

Monique - which ones have you read and liked. I just read one of her contemporaries and it was fairly hum drum.

KatLynne Becs wrote: "Thanks KatLynne. I saw LRJ tweet that the next books are Feb and May :-("

Thanks for this info Becs! I'll be anxiously waiting!!

Elizabeth (Liz) Fantastic review, Becs! I can't believe we have to wait that long for the other installments!! Aaaaagh!

~ Becs ~ I know - it's cruelty personified.

Kelly Becs wrote: "I know - it's cruelty personified."

Well have to wait until February? Say it ain't so, Becs!

~ Becs ~ I wish I could Kells, really I do but I saw her tweet it!

Monique ~ Sinfully... Addicted to All Male Romance Becs wrote: "Monique wrote: "Great review Becs, another book added....I do like LRJ's writing so I am looking forward to this one:D"

Monique - which ones have you read and liked. I just read one of her contem..."

Sorry Becs, I have only just seen this, I get a bit confused when there is more than one Monique in the thread....think I need a nickname!!!

Her PNR series The Legend of Michael I too have read a few of her novellas, which are average.

~ Becs ~ Thank Monique - I'll check that out. I have 2 Goodread friends called Monique. I know who I'm talking to, I'm down with it but if either of you changes your profile pic, I'm screwed.

Monique ~ Sinfully... Addicted to All Male Romance Becs wrote: "Thank Monique - I'll check that out. I have 2 Goodread friends called Monique. I know who I'm talking to, I'm down with it but if either of you changes your profile pic, I'm screwed."

I have 3 friends called Monique....that confuses the hell out of me!!!

« previous 1