Lydia Presley's Reviews > The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving

The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving by Jonathan Evison

Jul 24, 12

bookshelves: fiction, comedy, 2012, contemporary
Read from July 20 to 21, 2012

With The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving I was treated to a somewhat snarky, somewhat endearing, and fully heart-breaking story as I followed Benjamin Benjamin (yes, you read that right) through the passage of healing from a terrible tragedy.

Benjamin's life is pretty much in shambles, and now he has completed his training to take care of folks in need in their homes - and as a result fortune favors him with a young man with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. Their meeting was fortuitous ... for both.

With enough humor to take what would have otherwise been a dismal story, Jonathan Evison weaves the story of Benjamin's present and past into a story that had me flipping pages quickly. There was crude humor (but really hilarious stuff) and enough touching moments that I actually said "aww" out loud and had to catch my breath before I started to cry.

Evison gives us a full cast of characters, ranging from the teenage runaway, to the ex-wife, to the strange neighbor lady and her pets. There's high speed chases, road-trips, family bonding, and accidents that will make your heart seize up as you consider the implications of it all.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and it's not often I recommend a book by a male author for one of those beachy, summer reads but I think that The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving is easily one of those books I can recommend for just that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving.