Jamie Raintree's Reviews > The Horse Whisperer

The Horse Whisperer by Nicholas Evans

Jul 03, 2011

bookshelves: favorites
Read from July 20 to August 17, 2012

I have to start by saying I watched the movie first. A very long time ago, in fact. When I first watched it, I was a little girl and I fell asleep during it so many times because the slow pace didn't hold my young attention span. As an adult, I watched it again and I finally understood the story for what it was--not about a horse, but about how that horse brought together a group of people. And now, as a woman, I connect with Annie's story completely. I loved this movie so much that I thought I had an understanding of what I was getting myself into when I picked up the book. I was so very wrong.

The mood and plot are very similar to the movie and I loved the book for that, but of course, for those who have seen the movie and read the book, we know the movie stops very short of where the story truly ends. I wasn't prepared for that.

The writing in this story is flawless, the characters so deeply explored. I felt emotions for every one of them because I understood their pasts and their struggles and I felt like I'd shared their emotions at one point in my life or another. I went on the emotional ride with these characters, viewed beautiful scenery, fell in love and had my heart broken. I have had my favorite book picked for a while now but this one is pushing for that spot.

If you haven't read this book and you enjoy deep, heartrending read, you have to read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Horse Whisperer.

07/25/2012 page 105
23.0% "Slow starting but now I can't put it down!"
08/07/2012 page 228
51.0% "Is it sad that this is the fastest I've moved through a book in a long time...?"
show 2 hidden updates…