Katy's Reviews > My Brother, My Zombie

My Brother, My Zombie by Rusty Fischer

Nov 12, 12

bookshelves: ebook
Recommended for: fans of zombie genre
Read on November 11, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Book Info: Genre: Short urban fantasy/Zombies
Reading Level: Young adult
Recommended for: fans of zombie stories

Disclosure: I received this ebook as a gift, from a person unrelated to the author, in exchange for some editing work. I am under no obligation. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: Emma has only one guard shack left before she releases her brother into the zombies-only zone, or the Z-Zone, as the locals call it.

Along the way she keeps Sam docile with a plastic container full of raw meat and the only six commands he knows to obey. He doesn’t understand what’s about to happen to him, but she does.

If only letting him go was as easy as saying goodbye.

My Thoughts: This is a very sad story, but beautifully written and highly evocative. You get a wonderful feel for the characters very quickly, without a lot of dialogue - Sam, particularly, is wonderfully developed with no dialogue at all. Wonderful.

It has some of the darker elements shared with the first two stories in this series. All the short stories in this series are highly recommended for fans of the zombie genre.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Brother, My Zombie.

message 1: by B0nnie (new)

B0nnie Now I'm sad! poor zombies.

Katy B0nnie wrote: "Now I'm sad! poor zombies."

Yeah, this one was a downer on which to end the series. If I'd my druthers, I'd have moved this one to three, and then put Private EyeZ down in 5th place to end the series, 'cause it's a shiny-happy story that made me feel good... :-)

Then again, maybe Rusty will write us some more in this little series of shorts! We can always hope! :-)

message 3: by Rusty (new)

Rusty Fischer Ha! Actually, Katy, you make some VERY good points and your insight on/into this series has been extremely helpeful! It's my first series of shorts, so I'm learnign. But, actually, I just ran a contest where the winner gets to be featured in the next Reanimated ReadZ story so... there will be at LEAST one more and I will definitely make it "shiny-happy and feel good," which is more my Zombies Don't Cry/Ushers, Inc. comfort zone! Again, thanks for all your feedback and support and sorry to hijack this thread!!!!

Katy Rusty wrote: "Ha! Actually, Katy, you make some VERY good points and your insight on/into this series has been extremely helpeful! It's my first series of shorts, so I'm learnign. But, actually, I just ran a con..."

Hey, Rusty - I am (from my research) one of the very few people you will meet on here who not only don't mind authors stopping by, I welcome them doing so :-) Thanks for your comments, and I'm glad you found some of my ramblings helpful. I'll be watching for more Reanimated Readz - I'm not a "traditional" zombie fan, but I love what you do with the genre :-)

Katy Michael wrote: "Great review, Katy, BUT, I prefer when you rate the book, too. Wha' happn'd?"

lack of sleep... lemme fix that...

Katy Oh for the love of .... *sigh* Thanks, Michael! I appreciate you letting me know (and am glad I decided to check these particular posts!)

Katy I don't see any others missing ratings, Michael - can you email me a link to the review if you run across it again?