Olivia's Reviews > Tatterhood and Other Tales

Tatterhood and Other Tales by Ethel Johnston Phelps

Aug 29, 12

bookshelves: folktales-legends
Read from August 06 to 28, 2012

The stories themselves are great, and also not ones I had read before. However, I found many of the retellings somewhat lackluster, and I was also disappointed by how skewed it was towards European folktales, especially those from the British Isles. I guess I expected a book from the Feminist Press to do a better job at presenting stories from all over the globe.

For better or worse (and I'm going to pretty confidently go with for worse) there is a better kept catalogue of European folktales than of folktales from anywhere else in the world. I shouldn't really expect the editor to do months of extra research to make a collection that fairly represent the wealth of stories outside of Europe--especially when taking into consideration her primary goal to combat the existing sexism in children's stories was already pretty ambitious.

In the end, my lack of excitement over Tatterhood is partly because by the time I was able to read, other feminist collections had grown from what Phelps started. I am grateful for Tatterhood, but it will never hold the same place in my heart that it holds for so many for whom it was the first of its kind.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tatterhood and Other Tales.