Rachel's Reviews > Impulse

Impulse by Ellen Hopkins

Oct 26, 12

bookshelves: teen-fiction, thinking-about-life
Read in January, 2011

Do not read this book if you're in a bad place--it's most definitely a trigger book. But I am absolutely in love with Ellen Hopkin's writing style. It's poetic, but not in a way that's trying too hard (considering it's a teen book). I love all of her books--they make me think about what I want from my life, if that makes sense. Okay, getting a tad too in depth, but I loved this book, even if it was depressing as crap.
16 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Impulse.

08/09/2012 page 5

Audrey Yocom Actually, this book helped me in my darkest times and still does. I don't believe it is a trigger book, to me it shows those who contemplate suicide or self injure that they're not alone in their struggles.

Rachel Audrey wrote: "Actually, this book helped me in my darkest times and still does. I don't believe it is a trigger book, to me it shows those who contemplate suicide or self injure that they're not alone in their s..."

I agree with you! It did help me a lot with not feeling alone. But it also caused me to fall further down if I read it at the wrong time. It was kind of a toss-up. It either triggered somewhat hopeful emotions in me, or more depressed feelings. When I wrote the review, it was definitely on the depressed side (if you couldn't tell lol). Thanks for disagreeing though. It's important that people know that side, too.

Kassandra Persad Her books are so emotionally draining...but I love it for that reason. I agree 100% with you on not reading this when you're in a bad place. It makes it so much easier to- cut a little deeper, swallow the pills or put the gun to your chest.

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Edler This book was incredibly poignant and can really touch a soul. Some parts were very frightening and I caught myself having to take a break after reading some parts. I'm don't think its exactly a "trigger book," but I don't think people in darker places should read it. I think that the format of the words on the page added suspense. I find Ellen Hopkins's word style so unique.