Maranda Russell's Reviews > Northern Wisdom: The Havamal, Tao of the Vikings

Northern Wisdom by Eoghan Odinsson

Jul 20, 12

bookshelves: poetry

First off, I'm embarrassed to admit that until I read this book I had never even heard of The Havamal, but I am so glad I came upon this version. I think one of the things I liked best about this book is that it updates the ancient wisdom of the Norse into language that we can understand today, but it also includes the original version. I really enjoyed comparing the new and old versions. The old version is told in beautiful poetic language, but is a bit difficult to decipher. The new version is easy to understand and does a really good job or updating the old text without losing the meaning. I thought it was creative how the author even updated some of the old metaphors (like changing "steed" to "car" as the common mode of transportation).

Overall, this is a great translation of a fascinating text that covers a wide range of wisdom, ranging from everyday advice to matters of the heart to important moral dilemmas. It should definitely find a place on your shelf amongst other great wisdom folklore, such as the Tao, the book of Proverbs, the Bhagavad Gîtâ, etc.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Northern Wisdom.