Matthew's Reviews > The Blade Itself

M_50x66
Aug 13, 12

bookshelves: epic-fantasy
Read from July 25 to August 13, 2012

A very well-written book and a pretty entertaining read. If I had to compare it to a book, it would be A Game of Thrones.

However, in contrast to A Game of Thrones, this book does not feature character deaths or throw you right into the action.

While a good 20% shorter than the Game of Thrones, this whole book felt like exposition, setting up for later books. If you aren't prepared to read the rest of the series, there is no point in reading this book. I found it fun, but it mostly dealt with setting up a world and introducing the characters. There were occasional fights so you could understand the powers of the characters, that almost seem to come from a RPG game, but it did not give you an opportunity to relive the adventures of the heroes, rather just understand them and the world in which they live.

At the end of the book, everyone is setting off on their quests to save the world. But nothing substantive has happened. Just the characters have been gathered. There have been some tribulations in that... but it would be as if The Fellowship of the Ring ended when the Council of Elrond had met and decided to send Frodo with the One Ring to Mordor.

Sure, the author can write, but he needs to give me a story at some point or I will be very mad.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blade Itself.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Greg (new)

Greg "...but it would be as if The Fellowship of the Ring ended when the Council of Elrond had met and decided to send Frodo with the One Ring to Mordor." Yikes! Hopefully, the rest of the series makes up for this.

I wonder if the first two books in the series were written as single volume, with the publisher splitting it into two so as to make the work appear less daunting to read.