Vanessa's Reviews > Girls to the Front: The True Story of the Riot Grrrl Revolution

Girls to the Front by Sara Marcus

2054747
Aug 01, 12

bookshelves: feminism
Read from July 28 to August 01, 2012

This book was amazing to read! Unfortunately, I was too young when this movement happened, but I'm still amazed at the strength and creativity of these riot grrrls. I love it when girls are in bands and make their own music. It's a very strong action in a world where girls and women are supposed to be silent and never use their voice. I love Bikini Kill, and I was happy to read about the other riot grrrl bands as well such as Bratmobile and Huggy Bear. I am definitely going to check them out.

I think Sara Marcus did an excellent job detailing the origins and events surrounding the riot grrrl revolution. As she points out toward the conclusion, she included everything that she knows happened. It was hard to read the tense moments toward the end when several of the girls started losing touch and the real cause of the movement seemed lost on some of them. The question of race and class is also brought up in the book, which caused conflict later on in the movement.

I think this book is a great read for feminists and those interested in women's studies. It's also a great read for those who love music and art, since riot grrrl depended heavily on music and zines. Reading about the feminist zines has inspired me to make my own and to purchase other zines as well.

Overall, a wonderful and informative book that completely enraptured me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girls to the Front.

07/28/2012 page 112
29.0% "Hell yeaa I love it!"
show 2 hidden updates…