Brian's Reviews > House of Glass

House of Glass by Pramoedya Ananta Toer

Apr 11, 09

bookshelves: asian, read-2009
Read in April, 2009

Well... with this book I've now completed the Buru Quartet. That was one of my goals for this year. Now I'm wandering aimlessly through my library picking things up at random.

Book four, House of Glass, was different from the first three. The point of view switched from Minke, the main protagonist to a Indies Government official, Meneer Pangemanann, spelled with two 'n's. His was a tormented soul with a unlikeable narrative voice.

The quartet ended with what read like a history textbook lesson. I was a bit disappointed. I wanted more spirit, more inner dialog from Minke... But remaining true to the first 3 volumes... there was no happy ending.

"We all have to accept reality, yes, that's true. But just to accept reality and do nothing else, that is the attitude of human beings who have lost the ability to develop and grow, because human beings also have the ability to create new realities. And if there are no longer people who want to create new realities, then perhaps the word progress should be removed altogether from humankind's vocabulary."

-----

From an author's writing, I would construct how he felt and thought, what his desires were, weaknesses, what were his particular skills and capabilities, how broad was his general knowledge, and everything was linked together, as if by clear crystal threads. Every piece of writing was a world unto itself, floating halfway between reality and a dream world.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read House of Glass.

04/05/2009 page 57
14.84% "And now I embark on the last volume of the Buru Quartet... my goal for 2009. After this I can die or quit reading or just watch TV."
04/06/2009 page 113
29.43% ""Every piece of writing was a world unto itself, floating half-way between reality and a dream world.""
04/09/2009 page 248
64.58% "this land is my land, this land's not your land. this land was made for me and me."