Brian's Reviews > Concrete Island

Concrete Island by J.G. Ballard

Nov 11, 08

bookshelves: read-2008

I came upon a friend's review of Blood Meridian. Here's the beginning of his review:

i can only say that every now and then i come across a book that doesn’t make me feel like i’m reading a story but rather like i’m being injected into some other, concentrated, purified form of the world. a form that doesn’t really make sense, because it’s beyond my comprehension, but which thrills and frightens and amuses and teases me with hopes and thoughts and meanings. if that seems awfully vague and unclear, that’s because it is, but those are the books i prize most highly.

I was sitting here trying to figure out how to explain this book I just finished when i read the words above... that’s pretty much what i’d say about Concrete Island by J.G. Ballard.

Imagine being wrecked on an island, injured and having to deal with common day to day needs, attempts at escape, run ins with natives, foraging for food, and most importantly the inner turmoil and dialog you’d have with yourself, a dispicable self, as time went on... now imagine that island is in the middle of london at the confluence of 3 busy highways 30 feet down.

This was a small book that i liked much... a lot of much. I do recommend it. Yes i do. It’s a quick little read that left me feeling out of sorts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Concrete Island.